The market is saturated with so-called ‘healthy’ snack bars at the moment, but what the manufacturers don’t tend to tell you about their ‘low fat’ treats is that they are packed full of refined sugar.
When I heard about Perkier Quinoa Bars, I was keen to discover how their bars, made from all natural ingredients, would taste in comparison. My verdict? Delicious!! Flavours include coconut and chia, peanut, goji and cranberry, cacao and cashew and cashew, chia and pumpkin seeds. All the bars are dairy, gluten and wheat free, are 100% vegan and provide a natural source of fibre. My favourite flavour by far is the coconut and chia quinoa bar which is also packed full of raisins. The bar has a great sticky texture and has the perfect level of sweetness thanks to the coconuts and dates. With up to 6g protein per bar, these snacks are also a great pre-workout energy boost.
So what makes these bars so special?
Perkier’s mission is to deliver healthy snacks made with whole foods and packed full of nutrients to help you thrive. How do they do this? They use a combination of the following nutritious ingredients. Take a look at the benefits:
Benefits of raw cacao
- Contains antioxidants: in fact, raw cacao actually contains 40 times more antioxidants than blueberries! Why is this important? Antioxidants destroy free radicals in your cells and tissues which can help prevent cancer.
- Rich in iron. Cacao has a whopping 7.3mg iron per 100g. If that doesn’t mean much to you, compare it to beef at 2.5mg and spinach at 3.6mg and you’ll realise that’s quite a lot! One caveat, because it is plant-based iron, to get maximum benefits you will need to combine it with vitamin C so make sure you grab an orange at the same time!
- Mood enhancing. Cacao is full of feel good neurotransmitters including serotonin, dopamine, anandamide and phenylethylamine which are known to be able to boost your mood and alleviate depression.
- Boost your heart and brain health. Raw cacao is one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium which is essential for heart health. Magnesium also helps your body to turn glucose into energy thus improving your brain functionality and focus.
Benefits of goji berries
- Source of antioxidants which helps to boost the immune system and fight free radical damage.
- Promote healthy skin. Goji berries are packed full of beta-carotene which is a pigment which helps to promote healthy skin. It is also said to act like a natural skin cancer treatment too.
- Used in chinese medicine to boost fertility. Due to their ability to fight stress and boost mood, chinese practitioners often prescribe goji to rebalance hormones and thus boost fertility.
- Aid digestive health
- Help keep your energy levels up and help control the release of sugar into the bloodstream, which prevents spikes and dips typically associated with an increase in sugar.
Benefits of chia seeds
- High in fibre providing nearly 11 grams per ounce helping to aid digestion.
- High in antioxidants meaning chia seeds are excellent at preventing inflammation associated with ageing.
- Help keep your heart healthy due to their ability to reverse inflammation and lower cholesterol.
- Rich in calcium. Just one ounce contains 18% of your RDA, helping to strengthen your bones and keep your teeth healthy.
Benefits of quinoa
- High in protein so perfect for that post-workout boost.
- Packed full of fibre helping to aid digestion.
- Contains iron helping to improve brain function.
- Rich in magnesium to give you an energy boost.
Benefits of coconut
- Improves digestion
- Contain MCT oils which are metabolised differently to other saturated fats by going straight to the liver from the digestive tract. This means they can be used as a quick source of energy.
- MCT oils can also help you to burn fat, as well as suppress hunger, aiding in weight loss.
- Can improve blood cholesterol level by increasing ‘good’ HDL cholesterol and converting the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol into a less harmful form.
Benefits of peanuts
- Great source of protein helping to repair muscles, great for after a workout.
- Contain nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for optimum health.
- Contribute to health and blood flow to the brain due to important B-complex groups of vitamins.
So, there you have it! Not only do Perkier quinoa bars taste amazing, they also use a combination of ingredients which have equally amazing properties. I think these may well become a staple in my snack cupboard!